Andreas Mikkelsen and Anders Jaeger won Rally Australia, and secured their third consecutive bronze in the World Rally Championship.
In the last event for Volkswagen Motorsport, Andreas drove in to a fantastic victory. The Norwegian admits it was very emotional.
– I’ve experienced so much with Volkswagen Motorsport, and it’s very sad that this was the final rally with my awesome colleagues. It makes me very emotional realizing this is the final event for us in the team. I’m going to miss them all, but it feels good that we managed to finish with a victory. There were a few tears today!
To wrap up the Volkswagen Motorsport adventure with a victory, was a perfect end for Andreas and co-driver Anders Jaeger. They lead the event almost from start to finish and Andreas now claimed his third consecutive bronze in the championship. Even though he hoped to finish the season with second overall, he admits he cannot be disappointed after the season finale.
– It was the perfect end to the season. I had nothing to lose, I did what I could to win the event, and succeeded. It feels pretty good to win the close fight we had with the 4 times world champion. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to take that silver in the championship, but I cannot be disappointed. I wanted to give Volkswagen Motorsport a victory at their final rally, and it feels amazing that we managed to do that!
Overall result Rally Australia 2016
1 Andreas, VW 2:46.05,7
2 Ogier, VW +14,9
3 Neuville, Hyundai +1.12,6
4 Paddon, Hyundai +1.26,7
5 Sordo, Hyundai +1.28,3
6 Østberg, Ford +1.41,5
7 Tanak, Ford +3.04,3
8 Lappi, Skoda Fabia R5 +7.32,3
9 Latvala, VW +7.56,9
10 Bertelli, Ford +8.00,1
Overall Drivers Standings 2016
1. Sebastien OGIER, VW, France 268p
2. Thierry NEUVILLE, Hyundai, Belgium 160p
3. Andreas MIKKELSEN, VW, Norwat 154p
4. Hayden PADDON, Hyundai, New Zealand 1138p
5. Dani SORDO, Hyundai, Spain 130p
6. Jari-Matti LATVALA, VW, Finland 112p
7. Mads ØSTBERG, Ford, Norway 102p
8. Ott TANAK, Ford, Estonia 88p
9. Kris MEEKE, Ireland 64p
10. Craig BREEN, Ireland 36p
All the best,